Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Freshman Connection

I am working this program with the incoming freshmen. The program is designed to give students an introduction to high school and an opportunity to meet new friends. Many of them are so immature. I think they must still believe they are in elementary school.

The students are also supposed to find a cause and develop a plan of action. I am trying to figure out if I should give them some suggested topics or allow them to chose their own. I'm really leaning towards the suggested topics.

1 comment:

SistaGigi said...

Good morning Foxxychica!
Here's a suggestion... works GREAT for me with the peer group meetings in my afterschool program:
Start a dialogue about the "Hottest Topics" from their junior high schools last year. Write down the mainpoint each student discusses, i.e., relationships, sexuality, fashion, etc. All three topics makes them explore the issues of social conformity/rebellion, social grouping/racism, etc.
From there... you can lead with other questions, like... "how did these issues affect you"? You may have to define community for them -because unfortunately, a lot of youth don't realize they are a part of their community.
The school where I started my program is a small charter school that was having some serious behavior issues including sexual harrassment by homosexual students. When we had peer group meetings, the students were angry for different reasons. Some students were truly "against the unfair treatment of their gay peers" while others were "angry that certain behaviors were being allowed in their school" However, the latter group was far less vocal to administrators about their concerns. It was great dialogue! I actually allowed them to pick the topics for each peer group. They came up with GREAT stuff!!!
Best of luck... the more fun you have... the more you'll pull from them:-)