Saturday, August 14, 2010

Another year.

A few days ago (3 to be exact) I celebrated my 35th birthday. I was contemplating on having a birthday party but then life got in the way and I just didn't have the time to plan it properly.

In recent months, I have been invited to adult birthday parties and you are expected to pay for your own lunch or dinner and bring them a gift! Now, when people plan parties for their children, they don't ask you to pay for your child, so why do they do this as adults?

This is just my opinion and I am not asking people to agree with it although a lot of the etiquette experts would agree as well, if you are planning a birthday dinner party, you should pick up the tab and do not expect a gift. If people want to bring you a gift they will do so on their own, but it should not be expected. I always like to believe that a parties are a way of celebrating with those who are close to you. If you are planning a party to gain, maybe you should reconsider doing this.

No comments: