Friday, February 6, 2009

How do I reach the lost children?

I teach in an inner city/urban school. Many of the students receive free or reduced lunch. A lot of them come from less than stellar homes and in addition to poor home lives, they are way behind in school. I don't think many people realize the correlation between poverty and performance. I could name a number of books and studies that outline this, but you can research this on your own time. There is a correlation that children who come from poor environments tend to perform less in school and in life. Now, I know there are exceptions to the rule, but those are few and far in between.

A friend of mine often gets upset when I mention this because she grew up poor and on public assistance. I grew up poor, wore hand-me-downs (from a neighbor on the same block) and ate commodities (government handouts). I know and understand what it's like to not have. I think the difference for me (I don't know about my friend) was i was exposed to people who didn't live like me. I was able to interact with people from all socioeconomic backgrounds and ethnicity's. I was able to know and understand that it is possible to make it out. Many of my students do not have these opportunities and I think this hurts them. Whenever I try to tell them there is a way out, they think I am making it up or acting white.

How do I reach a group of children who's expectations have been lowered or non-existent? How do I compete with parents, friends, and a community that has accepted mediocrity? What can I do or say to encourage these kids? I am not sure if there is a solution. I believe there has to be some type of push from within at this point. The children have to want to have more for themselves. I often pose this scenario to them: Imagine it's twenty years from now,, you are 35/36 yrs old. The only knowledge you have is what you have learned thus far. The only money you have is what is in your pocket today? You have nothing more and nothing less. Is this how you want to live? Many of them say no, but they don't try to change their actions. I don't think many of them have gotten angry enough with their current situation to try and change it.

I often tell my students to listen and pay attention to what I am trying to teach because it will help them in life. A lot of my students feel like college is not an option and they are wasting their time. I try to tell them that it may not make them famous, but an education is something no one can take from them. Once you have the knowledge, it's yours forever.

I often feel like I am wasting my time with these children and feel like quitting. I am tired of being their only cheerleader. Then I often wonder, if I quit, who will cheer for them? But what about me, who's cheering for me? Why do I keep feeling empty, unfulfilled and miserable? I think I like teaching, but I don't like the apathy that I have to deal with.

6 comments:

AMY said...

I hear you, Olga. Hang in there. What you do really matters. Even if it doesn't feel that way.

foxxychica said...

Thanks Amy, I guess I needed to hear that. I hope you are enjoying your baby and break.

Anonymous said...

Keep telling them your story and others like you. There are people from less than desirable backgrounds who "made it." Additionally, I think just the image of the Obamas in the White House will also subconsciously encourage these children.

foxxychica said...

Thanks Chocolate Chiq, I know some of them will get it. It is my prayer that some of them get it and make it out. Thank you for the encouragement. Stop by and see me again (hopefully I'll have some better stories).

Anonymous said...

YOU KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

I know you are a wonderful teacher; my child still talks about you and you have not been his teacher in over 2 years.

I can only imagine what you are going through but if all your cheering only reaches a few of your students than you have made a difference in society.

The enemy DOES NOT like what you are trying to instill in these students and he would have you to walk around feeling like you are not getting through to any of them.

But I see the day when many of your students will come back to THANK YOU for planting that seed inside of them.

YOU ARE A GREAT TEACHER; KEEP IT UP.

I haven't seen you at Salem lately. What is up with that...LOL

foxxychica said...

Thanks anonymous. I know you haven't seen me. :)