Friday, December 26, 2008

Now that Christmas has come and gone...

This time of year can be a joyous one if you have people you love around you and you want to share it with them. I am so glad that Christmas has come and gone, you just don't know. I do think Christmas is so overrated and that is due to the media. People run out and get into debt buying gifts for one day. People use this time to volunteer as soup kitchens and shelters. Why don't people do this stuff all year? I don't know, maybe it's because during the Christmas time, we feel guilty. Now, explain this to me: How do you feel guilty about people who are less fortunate and then turn around and spend money you don't have on people you probably don't give a rat's patootie about? Talk about foolishness.

I want to offer some suggestions for people to consider doing consistently: Find a family that is less fortunate than you and adopt them. This year I got a 'Letter to Santa' from the post office and it was truly wonderful to see the expression on a stranger's face when I delivered items to them. Think about this: Many of us have our own personal Christmas every day. Most of the stuff we buy is not needed.

My next suggestion is volunteer at least once a month if possible. I think we get so consumed with our own personal lives, we forget about others until the Thanksgiving/Christmas season. I think many of us are rearing a bunch of selfish little brats who think of no one but themselves. Oh, but how can we expect our children to do something different if we haven't shown them. A little less selfishness and more selflessness.

The final suggestion I have is, learn how to purge. I know many of my friends have clothes and shoes they never/rarely wear. Get rid of that stuff. I am constantly checking my closet for things I can get rid of. I am not talking about the garbage you don't want, get rid of some of that good stuff. I read or heard somewhere that you should get rid of your "favorite" or "best" items. Once you do this, you will receive something better and an abundance of it.

My prayer for the New Year is that people learn how to become a better giver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My prayer is that people realize that simple steps solve complex problems. A cut back here and saving there can really add up. We can all help each other if we just decided to do it.