Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chicago's School Boycott

There have been a lot of discussions about the plan to boycott school today. It was started by Rev. Senator James Meeks. This boycott is to draw attention to the inadequacies in school funding in Illinois and other areas. I understand the purpose of the boycott, but I have to question the timing/motives. For those of you who don't know, Chicago teachers and other city employess must live in the city. I don't have a problem with that at all, but there are many educators who live in the city, work for the school system but they send their children to private schools. Now, I know it is probably a bit much to ask people to send their children to a public school, but my question is this: How can you expect others to buy into a school system when the educators who have been hired to educate our children don't send their children to these schools? Now should I no longer have faith in this system? If the 'teachers' don't send their children to these schools, why should others? It makes me question the teachers heart. Maybe this system is good enough to pay your bills, but not good enough to educate thier children. Isn't that like an oxymoron?

Another issue raised is how many of the legislators don't send their children to public schools. Once again, I ask, how can you ask others to support a system when the lawmakers, the same ones you have elected don't support public education? A few years ago, I was watching a news program with a legislator(I think he's was from Georgia)who had moved into a different district and there was a stipulation that stated all students must attend the neighborhood school. This neighborhood school was a poor perfoming school. Well, the local school board decided to make an exception for this man and his family and allow his children to attend a "better" school. This legislator said no. If the school board says his children has to attend the local school, then that's where they will go. I could not believe it. Someone with a position of power and chose not to abuse it.

The final thought I have on this issue it this, Rev. Senator James Meeks children are not in public school and have never been in public school. One of the representatives (Mary Flowers) who supports this boycott, sent her daughter to school. Now, I ask again, how can we ask others to buy into a system when the people organizing this boycott don't?

Critics believe children should not be involved/used for political gain. Nonetheless, how can you invoke a change if children are not involved? The last time I checked my history books, the Little Rock Nine were teens when they integrated Central High. Now, I also ask this question, how do we prepare our children to fight for a cause if they are never shown what to do or given an opportunity to do so? If I am not mistaken, when those students had a sit in at the Woolworth counter, they were college students.

Many of the school officials and legislators were pushing for the students to go to school, well let me tell you, I had a good number to show up, unprepared! When I asked them, they said "they didn't know they were going to need pen and paper to do work." Excuse me, but what is the point in coming to school if you are not prepared to do any work? So, all of this hoopla about going to school was a bunch of hogwash if you ask me, but who's asking.

Overall, there were students and their parents who did participate in this boycott. I applaud them for it, but my question is this: What happens after the boycott?

3 comments:

The Socialite said...

I think that I am split on the issue. I think I understand what you are talking about, when you say how can we ask people to buy into public schools, if we do not support them ourseleves?

I thinik that it is hard to fight for something, unless you actually know what it is about. You also will fight harder if it personally effects you. So it would make sense for your kids to go to Public schools, so that you understand firsthand what is going on, but also to show people that you have not given up on these schools.

But I can also see why someone would send their kids to private shcools, but still fight for equality in public schools. If you know that currently the schools are messed up, for the time being maybe you want your children to get a proper education. It will not stop you from making the schools better for kids to come.

So I understand both sides. I think the real issues is what you said at the end. After this boycott, what will happen next.

During the Civil Rights Movement,boycotts went on for years before any change came. When one plan failed, another one was created. Children and adults participated in the movement. And yes children were at the forefront. We need to really come up with some great plans, and continue til we get what we deserve!

And you are right, it starts with us supporting our own! (I just understood why one might decide the other way)

Unknown said...

I think that all of the lawmaker should sent their kids to the school we work aat!

foxxychica said...

@ Socialite, I am torn as well, but I chose to put my own daughter in public school because I want my students to know that I believe in the public school system.

In the beginning, I was all for the boycott until I realized that most of the people making noise really didn't have first hand experience about many of the issues going on in the system.

@ Anne, I think the lawmakers need to send their children to the schools and they need to come and sub in the schools for a week.